After doing the Dr. Oz 3 Day Cleanse I had a strong desire to do a protein powder breakfast shake. I had two concerns though as I thought about a protein powder breakfast shake. The first concern was cost and the second was that I wanted it to be easy to make. Either of these two issues would have kept me from doing a protein powder breakfast shake. After searching the internet and doing some experimenting I came up with a delicious protein powder shake to start after doing the Dr. Oz 3 day detox cleanse.
The Simple Protein Powder Breakfast Shake Recipe:
- 8 ounces of nonfat milk
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon of honey (preferably local honey)
- 1/4 cup of spinach (barely affects the flavor)
- 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder (The protein powder I use is the Body Fortress Brand. Reviews are that it is a good protein powder)
Put it all in the blender and blend it up!
There are about 410 calories in this protein powder breakfast shake. The recipe also makes about 16 ounces so if you would like calories you can always cut in half the amount drank. Sharing with a friend is always fun!
Variations on the Protein Powder Breakfast Shake:
Some good and healthy variations on this are as follows:
- Use almond or soy milk in place of nonfat milk.
- Use rolled oats in place of flax seed.
- Use different flavors of protein powder. I currently use vanilla but I imagine chocolate or strawberry would be good.
- Leave out honey if you are wanting to cut the calories.
- In place of 2 scoops of protein powder use some peanut butter.
- If you are seriously weight lifting then you probably want to use 2 scoops of protein powder.
This protein powder shake is healthy, easy and cost-effective. My wife and I really enjoyed doing the Dr. Oz 3 day cleanse and after drinking the shakes for 3 days from that I was ready to keep going. I also love that with this protein powder shake I can add some spinach and get some of the green veggies that I don’t get enough of.
If you are looking for a simple and healthy protein powder shake then this is the way to go. The added benefit is that it is delicious!
Your Turn: What is your favorite protein powder shake?